The Beatles said “All you need is love”. However, there are so many different types of love. Sanskrit has 96 different words for love, Persian has 80, Greek has three, but, in English, there is only one. With just one word, there are so many ways to show our love.
Here are some ways you can spread the love this month when love reigns supreme!
LOVE FOR OTHERS
- Random Acts of Kindness: Have your camper create Valentine’s and hand them out during the day as you run errands. Pass one to your waiter at dinner or to the cashier at the grocery store.
- Volunteer: Share the love by spending time volunteering at a nursing home or shelter. Call places in your area and ask if they could use help during upcoming events on Valentine’s Day.
- Smile!: We’re all busy and can get wrapped up in the day to day chores. Try to smile or say hello to others as you go through the day. Love doesn’t have to cost a thing!
LOVE FOR YOURSELF
- Take a deep breath. Even 10 short minutes of focused breathing can help. Find a quiet place to clear your head and focus on your breathing. It’s been shown to lower blood pressure, ease stress, and increase focus.
- Stop the negative talk. We can be our toughest critics. When you start to feel down, ask yourself “Would I say this out loud to someone else?” If it isn’t something you would tell someone else, you shouldn’t be saying it to yourself!
- Care for your body, mind, and spirit. As parents, we’re used to putting our kids first. It’s ok to be a little selfish and take time for yourself. Have a meal on your own, go for a walk with a friend, or just take an hour to do what you want to do. You need a break too!
Does your family love Lonehollow? Post a picture of your camper in a Lonehollow t-shirt on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram and they’ll be entered in a raffle for a prize! Be sure to tag @lonehollow and #ilovelonehollow!